Monday, September 17, 2012

Going Gluten Free

A year and about 7 months ago my world changed. I went in to a doctor that a friend had referred me to because I thought that maybe I had problems with my thyroid. Little did I know that really the biggest problem was the food I was eating. The doctor then ran some tests and found out that I am extremely intolerable to Wheat, Soy and Dairy and a lot of other things and so my body was was really reacting to these things. So, it was then and there my diet had to change. It was tough at first going through all of the cleanses etc that I had to go through but I made it and feel so much better after doing so. The toughest thing is when traveling or just out and about and needing something to eat. You can't just go in to a restaurant and get anything you have to be very careful. I take my food a lot of the time if I know I am going to be gone for a while. For me it's embarrassing to ask for food a certain way because I feel like it brings more attention to me and I don't like that, but I have learned to just do it. I have also found out how little I can eat out because of what is in the food. It has and continues to be a great learning experience but it is worth it to feel better and most of all not to have a hurting stomach all the time. With so many intolerances comes the requirement of having to make a lot of things you wouldn't think about making but then again it works once you get use to it. It definitely is not the easiest thing and I so miss a lot of foods but am learning how to substitute the ingredients with things I can have or I just live without them.

So, I thought also I would share some of the things I have found that I really like and I can eat them.
First thing you need is Chocolate right? Well thank goodness for these chocolate chips, they have made things just a bit easier.
They do taste good and can be substituted in many things. I do still have to be careful with this though, but it works.

Next up Peanut Butter. I am a big fan of Chocolate and Peanut butter together and it started when I was younger. So I found for me that Skippy Natural Peanut Butter works for me. Nothing like having a bit of Peanut Butter and Chocolate together. MMMMM!

If you have not tried Coconut Oil you must do so. It is so good for many things and good for you. My most favorite thing is Gluten Free chocolate chip pancakes cooked in coconut oil. They are so good! Of course I like to put peanut butter on top of mine or even more coconut oil, boy oh boy they are good!

This is the mix I use to make the pancakes. There is a recipe on the box. It is a good flour mix that you can use for a variety of things.

This is a place that I was first introduced to when going gluten free. They sale a variety of flours and gluten free things. They are very nice and help you in any way they can. I was surprised to see that there was actually a place here in Idaho that carried such things. It's been a life saver.

What a life saver these have been. I don't only eat them for breakfast but sometimes for other meals if I need to. Thank goodness they went gluten free. These are my go to for a lot of things.

Digestzen 15ml Bottle
This oil has saved me from many stomach aches and I can't recommend it any more if you deal with stomach issues. It has calmed my stomach quickly on many instances. Thank You doTerra!







These are a few of the comfort things that I have found to help me still be OK with having to live this way. I do have to say though if I did not have to eat this way I probably would not of enjoyed some of the different foods I have. I have found that Quinoa is very good along with spinach and cucumbers are now a highly favorite. Green drinks have become a favorite also. And the list goes on. I really have learned a lot in the last little while. I do have other good recipes that I have come across along with books and websites.  If you would like them just email me.
It's amazing how one simple thing can change your life so much. I am glad though, the health benefits make it worth it. It's just adjusting to life this way which is coming along, just slowly.


No comments: